Sunday, August 12, 2018

CLOSE TO NATURE

This is my final design team project for Creative Inspirations using the following sketch.  A month ago, my family and I took a trip to Washington DC.  My girls and I flew to DC to meet my husband who was taking a class in the area and then drove home.  On our way back to Ohio, my husband wanted to take us to Shanksville, PA were Flight 93 crashed on September 11, 2001.  I've been to a few 9/11 Memorials, but none hit me with such emotion like this one did.  In the field pictured on the left, a plane intended for DC crashed upside down at approximately 500 mph.  The passengers heroically stormed the cabin of the airplane and fought for control of the aircraft until the plane crashed into the field.  On September 11, 2001, this field was the site of a strip mine.  The earth had been carved and depleted of all trees and natural beauty.  Without warning, the land became the site of unimaginable sorrow.  Today, it's been restored to it's natural state as a memorial to those who perished.  As my girls, husband, and I were looking at this field of wild flowers remembering the tragic events of that horrible day, we spotted a mama dear and her twin fawns.  It was so peaceful.  So beautiful.  New life where there was once a tremendous amount of death.  It really was a moving experience to see.  I was looking for the perfect sketch and paper to highlight these pictures, and I felt that the Creative Inspirations August 12 sketch captured exactly what I wanted to convey.  I kept thinking about the circle of life with the circles on the sketch.  During an impromptu trip to my local scrapbook store, I found Authentique's "Meadow" collection that I thought did a perfect job spotlighting not only the nature aspect of the photos, but also the innocence of the deer family grazing in such a hallowed site.

No comments:

Post a Comment