Wednesday, August 14, 2013

NATIONAL ZOO

In January, my student Tyler passed away from complications from the flu.  It was one of the most awful experiences of my life and my career having to navigate my students through the death of a classmate.  When my colleagues and I went to pay our respects to my student's family, his parents, who are the most amazingly strong and selfless people I've encountered, asked us to bring this bear with us to Washington DC in honor of Tyler.  We told the students of our plans, and they had a blast posing the bear all over monuments and places we visited in Washington.  This picture is from our first stop in Washington DC at the National Zoo.  We placed Tyler's bear on a statue of a panda bear.  When I saw that this week's challenge for Child's Play was the children's book "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See..." I immediately thought of this picture.  I plan to give the layout to Tyler's parents along with other layouts I'm making commemorating the bear's trip to Washington.  If you would like to look at other layouts based on this challenge, please follow this link back to Child's Play Challenge. http://childsplaychallenges.blogspot.com/ Thanks for browsing!

1 comment:

  1. What a heartfelt story. Great photo of the bears! Great patterns too!

    ReplyDelete